The winner of the Best Healthcare and Wellbeing Benefits category of the Employee Benefits Awards 2013 has been named as Hewlett-Packard for their Fighting Cancer at HP scheme. Hewlett-Packard were nominated for the award by HealthScreen UK.
The judges in this category were looking for a successful scheme which boosted productivity and engagement through the wellbeing of their employees. What particularly impressed the judges about the winning scheme were the steps that Hewlett-Packard have taken to increase awareness amongst their employees of some of the most common cancers in the UK. Through their education-based campaigns and screening initiatives, several employees have been diagnosed with cancers which could otherwise have possibly gone undetected.
Hewlett-Packard’s scheme has also had business benefits; these have included reduced absence costs and lower private medical insurance and income protection costs, as well as savings on ill-health early retirement and life assurance.
The judges said of the winner: “The approach Hewlett-Packard took, in terms of the combination of screening and education, was impactful and gave a legacy to what it is doing. It was very different from the other entries – it fundamentally made a difference to employees’ lives.”
Hewlett-Packard said: “We stood out because we actually made a difference to our employees’ lives.”
The runners up in this category were:
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch – MyWellbeing (entered by Roodlane Medical)
- BMW (UK) – Health and Wellbeing – BMWellbeing Live Well, Work Well
- BNP Paribas – Help Yourself to Health
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP – Freshfields Wellbeing
- Trolex – Inspire
Healthcare Executive Search work across Employee Benefits, Health and Wellbeing and International PMI as a specialist search and selection recruitment company. We have over ten years market knowledge, a network of key contacts and an understanding of the drivers behind future employment needs.
At Healthcare Executive Search we will source the highest calibre Commercial Executives, bringing together the best potential candidates with the best employers. We strive to identify the best people, those who have the brightest futures and are highly sort after.
Ultimately there is no better tool than market knowledge and expertise – which is where we come in!
Whether you are an employer looking for the right candidate, or you are looking for a new challenge, why not get in touch with us for an informal chat; either via the Contact Page or give us a call on 01225 326446.
We will treat any communication with the strictest confidence.
BMI Healthcare’s Thrombosis Board has been shortlisted for the Independent Healthcare Awards in the Risk Management category. The Independent Healthcare Annual Awards recognise outstanding dedication, commitment, quality and innovation in the private healthcare sector.
BMI Healthcare are the largest independent provider of acute surgical services in the UK and are the only national hospital group to date to gain VTE (Venous Thromboembolism) exemplar status across its network of hospitals and clinics. The healthcare provider is the largest organisation to be acknowledged by the Department of Health as an exemplar partner and they are the first private company to achieve accreditation.
BMI Healthcare’s VTE prevention programme has previously also earned them the award of Best VTE Education Initiative at the Lifeblood National VTE Awards.
Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) is the term which covers deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a condition which has been reported as causing up to 25,000 largely preventable deaths in UK hospital patients each year. The cause of death in these cases is a clot, commonly in the veins in the leg, which breaks loose and travels through the heart and into blood vessels in the lungs causing a blockage, which can then lead to a high risk of death.
Dr Mark Ferreira, Group Medical Director for BMI Healthcare, said of receiving the award, “We are delighted that BMI Healthcare has been recognised with this Award. We have been working closely with the Department of Health on this important initiative to further assure patient safety and care.”
Dr Mark Ferreira comments, “This recognition is a testament to all staff across BMI Healthcare who worked hard to develop and implement the thrombosis service over the years.”
The winner of the Risk Management award will be announced at the Independent Healthcare Awards ceremony in October.
The healthcare insurers AXA PPP have launched a new employee dental plan for employers to provide as an Employee Benefit. The plan offers six levels of cover to choose from. The six levels cover the same treatments and procedures, but the entitlements for each type of treatment differ. Employees will have access to dental nurses via the telephone and can gain information about maintaining good dental health through a dental health centre accessible online.
The Dental Plan cover includes:
- Choice of dentist: Employees can have their treatment with any dentist, whether they are private or NHS-registered. No dental checks before joining: Planned and pending treatment is covered.
- Mouth cancer cover: Treatment and medication up to an overall annual maximum of £10,000 is paid for should an employee be diagnosed with mouth cancer, including dedicated cancer nurses being available to provide support and guidance over the phone.
- Pre-existing conditions (excluding mouth cancer): Ensuring even employees with existing problems with their teeth are eligible for maximum cover.
- Worldwide cover: Reimbursement towards the cost of employees’ routine check-ups and emergency treatment anywhere in the world should they have an accident.
- Injury and accident cover: Reimbursement towards the cost of treatment following an injury or accident.
Dental helpline: Dental nurses are on hand to offer employees advice and reassurance over the phone.
- Online dental health centre: Informative articles and expert advice to help employees keep their teeth healthy.
- The scheme is underwritten by Axa PPP Healthcare and administered by National Dental Plan (NDP).
The Head of Marketing for AXA PPP Healthcare, Alison Green, said: “Missing routine dental care or avoiding necessary treatment can be a significant cause of discomfort and, in turn, contribute to absence levels at work.
“With our experience in the corporate healthcare arena and NDP’s focus on service, I’m confident we’ll be offering clients unrivalled expertise.”